Saturday, June 11, 2011

When God Calls

Sometimes God takes us to a place in life that only in the end we find out His purpose.

I met a man through my work place in 1999. The man was a client from the low income part of town. He was repulsive, unclean, vulgar and a drug addict.

He and I got along just fine, but my co-workers and I knew he could very well be a threat. He had made threats, but had not carried them out. I knew Jesus loved him and only He could make a change in this man's life.

Several years later as the man's health deteriorated he had to be hospitalized. I felt the Lord was calling me to visit the man in the hospital. He had no family to be by his side, or any friends for that matter. The man was now totally alone, and only had a few hours or days left on this earth. If he was ever to know about Jesus and His love, I had to go to this man's dying bedside.

I entered the hospital room in the late afternoon. He was lying down, perfectly still. The man was moaning and growling with his eyes closed. I checked with his nurse who informed me that he had taken his pain medication and nothing else could be done for him. I sat down beside his bed and began to pray. I opened my Bible to the Gospel of John and began to read out loud. As I read he began to moan and made growling sounds louder and louder. I just continued reading. By the end of John the moaning and growling had subsided. I prayed over the man and told him how much God loved him, and that Jesus died on the cross for all of his sins. I placed my hand on his arm and told him I would be leaving. I would come back the next day. To my surprise the man turned his head toward me and opened his eyes. There was such a peace about him and he had the most beautiful, clear, blue eyes that I had ever seen. I did not see the man I once knew, but I felt the presence of Jesus and his love for this man. Before I could return the next day he had died. I would not be surprised one day to see this man again in heaven. I believe when he opened his eyes he had repented and accepted Jesus into his heart. I was told that he never opened his eyes again before he died.

Sometimes God takes us to a place in life that only in the end we find out His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment